Friday, December 11, 2009

Session 23 ***

$0.25 90 Player Sit & Go (simul of 13)

Best Finish: 9
Worst Finish: 44
Average Finish: 21.9 / 90 [24.36%]
Payouts: 1 / 13 [8%]

Profit: -$2.58

Bankroll: $28.19


For you non-believers - there IS a thing called variance in poker - and it fucked me up this session. I had my money in good with only a few exceptions, but hands like K 10 kept beating AK, a flush draw was made against my trip queens, pocket 2s flopped a full house while my K 10 hit trips that same flop (and I was small blind that hand so was in it with pot odd), after I flopped a Q-flush and bet aggressively I was called all the way to the river where he ran a full house, etc, etc. In short, NOTHING WENT MY WAY. I got NO breaks AT ALL. Just some nasty variance this go! Even though I played well, the cards ran bad, and this session really shows how important bankroll management is.

How will I resolve the problem? I will run future simuls differently. Instead of immediately starting 9+ games back to back, I will concentrate on the first game, see if I can get a strong profit, and then I can start a second game, and continue the process to where I am comfortable. Doing 13 games at the same time is riskier, as you can see, because bad variance => you're screwed. If you slowly build a group of games, you can stop if you're meeting problems, including bad play.

No comments:

Post a Comment